Scooter Forum and Messageboard by Scooter Invasion Forum Index

<  Scooter Workshop  ~  Silly Tao Tao carburetor... (Photos)

Areomyst
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 10 Jul 2007 Posts: 5041 Location: Haw River, NC United States of America!
So, this is the second carburetor from "Tao Tao" (another knock-off no-name Chinese scooter) that I have had to do this with. They come in needing carb work and you're ready to rock and get the carb cleaned... only to be hindered by those little torque shear/security snap-off bolts! Now, i'm used to seeing these on thing like ignition keyswitches, and components that aren't supposed to be removed, but...

Well, ya can't really remove them easily like this...

So I cut a small slot in the shear bolts with my dremel, and used a flat-head screwdriver to get them out. It worked well enough, but was a pain in the butt for a simple carb cleaning.

The other one that I had in, I drilled a small pilot hole, then drilled a size up, and then used a screw extractor. It was quite a bit more time consuming than the "cut a slot - use a flat-head" method, but was probably the better way to go. When I put the screw back in there was a little bit of material removed from the carb bowl as a result of how I was cutting the bolt. In this situation it really didn't matter, but it got under my skin anyway:

Thanks for looking!

~Josh

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
This will help w/ all sorts of striped heads, and such... Reverse twist drill bits. They are easily found, and will bite in just like an extractor. In fact 90% of the time you won't need an extractor at all if you use them. Maybe a good one for the tool thread.

Areomyst
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 10 Jul 2007 Posts: 5041 Location: Haw River, NC United States of America!
zombie wrote:
This will help w/ all sorts of striped heads, and such... Reverse twist drill bits. They are easily found, and will bite in just like an extractor. In fact 90% of the time you won't need an extractor at all if you use them. Maybe a good one for the tool thread.

Good to see you here sir. Smile

I've used the reverse drills quite a bit in the past, and yes, they really do work well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick some up, that's for sure!

Ciao,

~Josh

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
It's funny, because I posted those pictures and then Wednesday I had ANOTHER carburetor with the same darned thing going on. This was a "VIP" scooter... another China no-name thing, with hardly any miles on it. It's almost like they're trying to equip these things with a disposable carburetor.

This time I drilled and used a screw extractor instead of cutting a slot. I'll upload photos later.

~Josh

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
Ive noticed this on the newer model 2T mina powered scoots around here as well. I could get the bowl off but the main jet wasnt removable Sad . The whole carb was about the cheapest ive seen. I have seen better built things come out of the bottom of a box of cereal Rolling Eyes

Areomyst
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
2strokd wrote:
Ive noticed this on the newer model 2T mina powered scoots around here as well. I could get the bowl off but the main jet wasnt removable Sad . The whole carb was about the cheapest ive seen. I have seen better built things come out of the bottom of a box of cereal Rolling Eyes

Wanna do a group buy on Dellorto shares? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

~Josh

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Here are some photos from the other one... good grief.

Guess I'll stock up on replacement machine screws as this seems to be popular lately. What a pain in the arse.

~Josh

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
Josh, now bear with me, I'm not trying to be harsh, but, how much are these stock carbs, really? Actually, I know...dealer price can be lower than $10 ea. Why even waste time on these? For the amount you'd need to charge a customer to perform this "repair" they could have a decent stock replacement complete with bowl screws. Rolling Eyes

-Mike

2000 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
Areomyst
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
wireburn wrote:
Josh, now bear with me, I'm not trying to be harsh, but, how much are these stock carbs, really? Actually, I know...dealer price can be lower than $10 ea. Why even waste time on these? For the amount you'd need to charge a customer to perform this "repair" they could have a decent stock replacement complete with bowl screws. Rolling Eyes

-Mike

Lower than $10 each? Damn...

If I need to replace one, I order a Walbro from IDC, they retail around $60. Carburetor replacements for me are rare though as they can usually easily be cleaned quickly.

I charge one hour to clean the carb, and while I'm in there I also do little things, like check the tire pressure, adjust cables, etc... It's followed up by a test drive, and I feel like it's a good value... If lots of people didn't feel that way, I probably wouldn't be getting the work.

Where is the $10 carb from? If it's a vendnor I'm set up with, I'll order a couple and give them a try. I've always been of the mindset of "repair instead of replace" for most work.

~Josh

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Also, I hoped that posting up the photos might help someone in a jam if they need to clean their own carb, and they weren't sure about getting the screws out. Fixing it 'right now' is better than waiting on a parts order if you can fix it right.

~Josh

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:04 am Reply with quote
Much as I hate to promote him, the dealer pricing list I saw came from scootersus.com.

Checking the list again, I see I was off, carbs are $25 or $30 for the 150's. PM'ed you the list.

-Mike

2000 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
Areomyst
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
wireburn wrote:
Much as I hate to promote him, the dealer pricing list I saw came from scootersus.com.

Checking the list again, I see I was off, carbs are $25 or $30 for the 150's. PM'ed you the list.

-Mike

Cool, I'll check that out thanks. Smile $25 to $30 still is a ridiculously low price.

While I was browsing around, I even found a cheap 50cc one from Partsforscooters! RETAIL for $25?!? Now, they're not normally that low, but I guess they don't have the accelerator pump...
http://www.partsforscooters.com/151-235_Carburetor_qmb139_2

Happy scootering!

~Josh

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gy6+carb&_sacat=See-All-Categories
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/gy6-carburetor.html
You all have to spend more time looking! The whole engine is $79.00 w/ Carb. I like the "Future Champion" logo. Kinda like "Faster than Speed!" Or "Louder than Sound!"
What else you need?

dirtyd
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
zombie wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gy6+carb&_sacat=See-All-Categories
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/gy6-carburetor.html
You all have to spend more time looking! The whole engine is $79.00 w/ Carb. I like the "Future Champion" logo. Kinda like "Faster than Speed!" Or "Louder than Sound!"
What else you need?

"Not only supply all kinds of carburetors, but also can develop new carburteors for our customers..."

Haha, that's funny...

zombie
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I kinda agree w/ wireburn on this one. It would be cheaper/ easier to order a "box o carbs" and sell them out at 50 bucks installed. In MY business i sell parts/items at cost, and make my $'s on the install labor. I can generally (98%) do a whole job for less than others sell the part for. Soooo I stay REAL busy. Ps I build/restore/repair boats in a town FULL of marine supply/repair shops. Competition HATES me, Customers line up!