Scooter Forum and Messageboard by Scooter Invasion Forum Index

<  Scooter Workshop  ~  Where can I find a FXR 180cc engine

RyDN E-zey
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
Anyone know where I can find one of these? Used or new is good. I comes off a 180cc Gilera Runner and someone told me they are a dimes a dozen in Europe. Any info or contacts would help, thanks!
Big B NRG
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote
I have found this engine new in box;

http://link.marktplaats.nl/415096601

It's in Dutch. It's brand new.
Price is 1239.95

Ex. shipping.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Big, how did you find it on the web? And Holy Moses!!! That's like $1805 not counting shipping!!! You think I can convert my 50cc ET2 to a 175cc for cheaper?
Big B NRG
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
RyDN E-zey wrote:
Thanks Big, how did you find it on the web? And Holy Moses!!! That's like $1805 not counting shipping!!! You think I can convert my 50cc ET2 to a 175cc for cheaper?

It's a Dutch "craigslist" and I am Dutch, so I browse that site pretty often.
Anyway there are cheaper solutions;

http://link.marktplaats.nl/438201749

http://link.marktplaats.nl/442133606

http://link.marktplaats.nl/436343371

http://link.marktplaats.nl/441161207

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
Those look great but I've never shipped in a motor from Europe. Do you know the restrictions and issues that may come up? Also, is there a program that can translate the websites from Dutch to English?
NatureBoy
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
if only i could get a runner over here....
Big B NRG
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
RyDN E-zey wrote:
Those look great but I've never shipped in a motor from Europe. Do you know the restrictions and issues that may come up? Also, is there a program that can translate the websites from Dutch to English?

You can use google translate. It's not the best translation, but it would make more sense;
http://translate.google.nl/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffietsen-brommers.marktplaats.nl%2Fbrommeronderdelen-scooters%2F438201749-leertouwer-soest-motorblok-gilera-runner-180-cc-lc-sd-001.html&act=url

You could also use chrome browser which has a translation function in it.
I think it's just shipping in the engine, probably pay taxes and off you go.
Shouldn't be to much hassle, but shipping costs might be high.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Oct 2007 Posts: 965 Location: Republic of the Philippines
RyDN E-zey wrote:

nope, not without spending ludicrous amounts of money. the crankshaft & cylinder from for the runner 180sp will not fit the 50cc case bcoz you will have no metal left to house them in after you bore the cases.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for the info. Over, I was thinking about it and wasn't sure how much meat is on the case compared to the 180cc case. My 50cc case looks pretty beefy and I think the rear pulley is the size of an overrange kit but it is stock. Well looks like I will have to save some $$$ to ship in a motor to hawaii. In the mean time, I can beef up the Derbi GP1 brakes and maybe get my friend to paint the panels. We'll see ...
OveRReV
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Oct 2007 Posts: 965 Location: Republic of the Philippines
RyDN E-zey wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info. Over, I was thinking about it and wasn't sure how much meat is on the case compared to the 180cc case. My 50cc case looks pretty beefy and I think the rear pulley is the size of an overrange kit but it is stock. Well looks like I will have to save some $$$ to ship in a motor to hawaii. In the mean time, I can beef up the Derbi GP1 brakes and maybe get my friend to paint the panels. We'll see ...

yes the rear pulley is overrange big (128mm) on these Piaggio 50cc scoots & the overrange kits for these is even bigger at 134mm which is very helpful if you're building a peaky race setup.

i have built the 50cc & 180cc versions of the Piaggio engine & there is no way to convert a 50cc to 180cc Piaggio in a cheap way so you'll have to bite the bullet & get the whole 180cc motor.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Is there a big difference in the stock 180cc and let's say a 90cc motor (if I choose to put in a big bore kit)? I know the 180cc stock will be more reliable and be a sleeper motor but as far as speed, what would i be expecting? I think both would be topping out at 85 mph. But with machine work on the 50cc case plus all the trans, pipe, bore kit costs, would it cost the same?
Big B NRG
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
RyDN E-zey wrote:
Is there a big difference in the stock 180cc and let's say a 90cc motor (if I choose to put in a big bore kit)? I know the 180cc stock will be more reliable and be a sleeper motor but as far as speed, what would i be expecting? I think both would be topping out at 85 mph. But with machine work on the 50cc case plus all the trans, pipe, bore kit costs, would it cost the same?

The 50cc case is the basis for 70cc, 80cc, 90cc engine. The 50cc case will hold a 46mm stroke crank, but that is already tricky.

The 125/180cc cases are complete different. Not even the same mold. You cannot compare them.

The 90cc engines are far more powerful, but those cost will be far more higher than importing a 180cc runner engine.

90cc engines can produce 30+ hp, 180cc runner is somewhere between 18 and 22 hp, without doing anything really fancy.

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow I didn't know the 90cc motors put out that kine of power! A few select guys here are running the 90cc+ Big Evos & Fabrizzi's on the minarellis but I don't think they are getting 30hp. My 70cc Evo 2 minarelli set up was keeping up with those on the high speed runs so I'm guessing its no where near 30 hp. I'm gonna save some cash and try to bring in a 180cc I guess. I really don't need to be going stupid fast on a 30hp moped, I just might die! As a side note, would I also have to upgrade the radiator or will the current liquid cooling system work?