Scooter Forum and Messageboard by Scooter Invasion Forum Index

<  Scooter Workshop  ~  CPI OLIVER 50CC PROBEMS WONT START GRRR

jamesey
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
hi there im new to this forum and would like some advice ive got a 2005 cpi oliver city 50cc and would like to know whats wrong with it or where to start its been stood for 2 years with a no spark problem , ive taken the spark plug out and turned the engine over and yes theres no spark do i have to earth the plug to do this test??
ive drained the fuel cause it had gone off but that shouldnt stop the spark
many thanks for any advise Crying or Very sad
190mech
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
Spark plug must be grounded to check spark,if its been sitting for a long time the carb will likely need to be removed for cleaning as the fuel will go bad and clog the jets..
jamesey
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
ive grounded the spark plug and still no joy of a spark , ive got 12v and the wires going in on 1 and 3 to 4v on the other wire on the coil , this is only when crancked over
190mech
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Check your kill switch on the handle bars,they have been known to short out causing no spark
scootertrog
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
jamesey wrote:
hi there im new to this forum and would like some advice ive got a 2005 cpi oliver city 50cc and would like to know whats wrong with it or where to start its been stood for 2 years with a no spark problem , ive taken the spark plug out and turned the engine over and yes theres no spark do i have to earth the plug to do this test??
ive drained the fuel cause it had gone off but that shouldnt stop the spark
many thanks for any advise Crying or Very sad

Welcome to the forum! Very Happy What country do you live in?

scootertrog
jamesey
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
hi im from sunny england not , ive bought a new cdi unit fitted it left the spark plug to test it and ive got a weak spark (at last a spark) but still not starting.
ive been out for a meal whilst re charging the battery from cranking taken the plug out again and theres no spark now im getting really stressed with this now why was there a spark (weak and now there isnt??.
when i recieved the new cdi unit for the bike it sounded if there was somthing loose inside it ,it rattles as though theres somthing rattling round in the sealed unit,
the shop says it will be ok it will either work or it wont , my next thing to buy is a new stator and try that??
im stumped anyone out there to help me PLEEESE!!! Sad Sad Sad
Mexicano
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Did you already check ALL the associated wiring and connections?, Did You already check your coil and spark plug cable??

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
190mech wrote:
Check your kill switch on the handle bars,they have been known to short out causing no spark

This caused me a load of the same problem one day Rolling Eyes

jamesey
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
I've got 2 coils that work, is the kill switch the same button I start it with or the key?
Mexicano
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:37 am Reply with quote
jamesey wrote:
I've got 2 coils that work, is the kill switch the same button I start it with or the key?

Tha key switch, look for the wire at the CDI and discconect it, run a test.

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
done that all ok here , im thinking it might be the stator that would cause it to have no or weak spark ive tested it again tonight and the weak spark is back ill buy a new stator and take it from there Crying or Very sad
Mexicano
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Before You change your stator, test it, connect an AC meter to the wires coming from the Charging coil at the stator(For CDI), crank the engine or kick start, whichever is stronger, record the voltage reading and let us know.

Regards,

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
Hi my stator was burnt up I've changed it and it started but I'm not getting any 2stroke into the engine its not pumping, where is the pump on these and what they like to get to, I can mix the oil with the petrol to get me going while I sort it Laughing Arrow
Areomyst
Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 10 Jul 2007 Posts: 5050 Location: Haw River, NC United States of America!
Oil pump is behind the stator. Double check that you didn't pinch a line when putting the engine shrouds back on. There is also a plastic gear on the crankshaft (behind the stator also) that can sometimes strip out and cause problems.

~Josh

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I've got it started and it ran fine for 45seconds then it kept making like a inside engine metal noise it then gave up and now won't start I've had enough with it now